Hablamos Español
Available 24/7
(602) 971-1775

Notice of Claim

If you want to sue the government for your injuries, you first have to file a notice of claim. In Phoenix, you only have 180 days to file the claim, so do not delay. A personal injury lawyer from Alex & Saavedra, P.C. may help you file the claim correctly and efficiently.

Why Notice of Claim is Required

The government is protected when being held liable in lawsuits, so you can’t sue them without permission. You are required to file a notice of claim first to let the government know that you suffered an injury and give them time to respond to your request. Unfortunately, injury claims against the government are rarely accepted. If your claim is denied, you have the right to file a lawsuit against the government.

Requirements for Filing a Notice of Claim in Phoenix

The city of Phoenix requires individuals to meet certain requirements when filing a notice of claim. Failing to meet these requirements may likely result in a denial of your claim. Let’s take a closer look at these requirements:

  • Include Sufficient Facts: Your notice of claim in Phoenix must include sufficient facts about your case, such as where you got injured and who was involved. The government will use these facts to properly investigate your claim. The more information you provide, the better.
  • State How Much Compensation You Seek: The government will also want to know the exact amount of money damages you are claiming and how you came up with that amount. Calculate all the costs that resulted from your injury, such as your medical bills, lost wages, and property damage and include them in the notice of claim.
  • Give the Notice to the Right Person: The person you give your claim to must be allowed to accept a claim for the city. Tracking down the right person can be tricky. That’s where a personal injury lawyer comes in handy. Your lawyer may help you find the person who is allowed to accept your claim.

Waiting for a Response

Once you have filed your claim, the government must respond within 60 days. If you do not receive a response by then, your claim was likely denied. That does not mean all hope is lost. You still have the option to file a lawsuit against the city. If you choose to go with that route, it is important to hire a qualified personal injury lawyer as soon as possible. You have only six months to pursue a lawsuit, so you do not want to waste any time.

A personal injury lawyer may help you build a strong case against the government and improve your chances of winning compensation. He may help you gather additional evidence to support your case and find witnesses to testify on your behalf. When it is time to appear in court, you may feel more confident with a skilled lawyer on your side.

If you want to learn more information about a notice of claim, contact Alex & Saavedra, P.C. at 602-971-1775.